Floridians are well-versed in Hurricane preparedness, but one of the often overlooked and crucial safety procedures is making sure your building’s elevators are hurricane-ready. Hurricane season is here, don’t wait until it’s too late to take the necessary steps to secure your building. Water damage is costly, and if your elevator is out of commission, so is your building.
Here are the easy pre-storm checks that ECI America can perform to keep your elevator safe and dry.
- Assume rising water will creep into your building’s elevator system. Stop elevator cabs in the center of the hoistway to prevent possible flooding and further damage.
- Check alarms, float switches, and pumps in elevator pits along with routine safety and maintenance checks.
- Secure doors and hatches with weather stripping as well as choosing any vents or exposed openings to the outdoors.
- Test emergency lights and emergency phones to be sure that safety features are working properly in the event of power surges and outages.
- Check generators and auxiliary power supplies have adequate fuel and charges available in case of a power outage.
- Did you know that there are a lot of upgrades that can be made to ensure your elevator isn’t affected by power outages? ECI has all of the parts and supplies you need to keep the heart of your building functional during a hurricane.